Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Letter Home: Vanera

Dearest Mother,

After wintering in Hural Yalir, I have finally traveled back to Karet Cheykor with a group of adventurers that brought supplies to the fort. The winter was long and supplies had been running short due to ambushies on the supplies wagons. I must say the men at the fort had been growing tired of me for some time, but especially after a Nalshbori attack in which they did not appreciate my help in combat.

I have spent the spring working with Palfeinan the scholar in the Norinlakor. You will remember my writing about him in a past letter. Rest assured dear mother that I am doing well and am very happy. I have experienced and learned things that I am most excited for you to read about in my book.

I must say I was quite surprised to find that Anaris has joined me. Did you know about her coming? I must say it's a great burden to me. I feel the responsibility of taking care of her greatly. Should she not be at home working on needlework with my other sisters? It is most inconvenient to have her here. She lacks the social graces that a woman of her age and upbringing ought to possess. I find myself having to apologize for her rude conduct constantly.

A woman ought to possess a certain gentle quietness, a gracefulness of manner, a confidence in her baring, yet a cunning wit about her. I think a woman of Vitherai’s temperament would suit me well, though Feala possess that wit about her I find so charming in a woman. I am afraid there is not a trait which my sister Anaris possess that I find worthy of admiration. Though I do confess she handles a sword better than I can, but only because she did not apply herself to the arts as I have done.

Please send along any news you have of the social life in Sencankarr, any bits of gossip you have heard (who all was at the festivals and who was not, little things like that), and all about the latest fashions. I ask not for myself, for I could care less about the social scene, but all the women in Karet Cheykor seem to think I know all about it, and I find myself having to make up what broche the Baroness wears, and how she is now wearing her hair, and what colors in dress are the most popular at the moment.

I do not know when I will be able to write again, for I have taken a job with this group of adventurers to find four lost amber miners. Hopefully it will help me in gathering more information for my book.

Give my love to Vitherai, Feala, Talivara, and to Father as well. 

Your devoted son,

Venera

No comments:

Post a Comment