Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Letter Home: Vanera to his mother, Fall/Winter 451 TE

My Dearest Mother,

I shall acquaint you with the events of the last few weeks. A plague has broken out here, and there has seemed to be no cure in the village for it. We were told that there is an herb, Dead Man’s Kiss, that could possibly remedy it. We were also told that the left eye of a hyena could cure it as well. I personally, not wanting to have to bother with hunting a beast down for its eye, proposed that we go after the herb.

On our first day searching, we found some growing in a thicket. The only problem we faced being a Lesser Horned Beast and her litter of cubs living in said thicket. They were newly born, by my estimation. Tengelbur thought he would befriend her by feeding her every apple we had with us. I told him not to, for it would surely make the beast lose its fear of man and wander into the village to eat children. He did not seem to think it was an issue and continued to feed our apples to the beast. Reiana and I tried our best to get some cuttings of the herb, but unfortunately scared the beast, and she attacked Tengelbur. After that, we all started in on the attack, and I must say, it turned out to be a tough fight.

In this beast I saw a motherly instinct that I have often seen in you. She would do anything to protect her cubs, just as you would do anything for your children. How I ever became so fortunate to have you as my mother, I can never tell. For you are one of the most virtuous, most loving, most tender women that has ever walked the earth.

After we had defeated this beast, we discovered that the beast' boiling blood had destroyed the herb. We then spent several days searching for more of the herb with no success. We took what we had back to the village, then set out to find the hyena’s eye. Thankfully, before we had gone very far, we were approached by someone who knew of a cure. To keep a long story short, we were able to help her attain the cure.

I now come to the part I know will make you dance for joy. Anaris and I are planning on coming home for the winter. I will come baring my many sketches I have made of the North with much information, that I am sure you will wish me back there at once so you will no longer have to listen to my talking of it.

Sencankarr… It holds that which is dearest to me in the world. I wonder even now how I have survived without it. Pray, don’t plan too many social engagements for me. I should like to spend the winter quietly at the Royal Library reading. Though, I would like to host a dinner for my fellow adventurers. Perhaps we could host all of Tengelbur’s family for dinner one night. Tengelbur has grown to feel like a brother to me. He has his weaknesses, but really a good man when it comes to his heart.

I have talked to Anaris about Neras Garini. I think it is safe to say there is yet hope. At least on her side. I fear there could be some possible resistance on Neras side. But I am sure that if Anaris spends enough time in front of a looking glass with your help, he will overlook the imperfections in her personality and be mesmerized by her beauty.

I have many other things I could write in this letter, but why waste my ink when you can hear it straight from your son’s mouth. I shall be with you shortly, dear Mother. Give my love to my sisters and to Father.

Your son,

Vanera

No comments:

Post a Comment